Blog Makeover

Have I mentioned the Sits 31 days build a better blog challenge? While it has been overwhelming at times, I've picked up a lot of useful information and tips for better writing, and I've been inspired to make a few changes. Thus, you'll notice the "About Me" section to the right is gone, and instead there's a tab at the the top called "About Scribbles." That's where it went. Since it looked so empty without my husband's and my smiling faces, I had to add the little coffee picture, which you may recall from my Coffee Love post.

Even with the 31 dbbb thing, I'm still very computer-ly illiterate, so making these few changes turned out to be quite the ordeal. Since I can never be satisfied with my writing, I edited the new About page for over an hour, and then I copied and accidentally dragged text around in the paragraph, and so of course I just hit control Z, my rescue button. This time it failed me. My ENTIRE POST DISAPPEARED. And no amount of control Z was bringing it back. I cried. Actually, I lay on the floor and bawled. My blogging career might have been over, but Brian came to my rescue like the knight in shining armor he is. Luckily, I'd left a preview window open, so Brian took a few screen shots of it and re-typed the entire post into a Word Document for me!

I feel that a makeover is in order. I've been somewhat unsatisfied with this background. The column for the posts is too narrow for large pictures, and there's lots of unused room along the edges. Also, I'm going back and forth on the birds and branch. You see, I've always loved butterflies. Blue ones. I didn't shop around enough when picking my background, because there are lots of butterfly backgrounds. And there's the issue of the title: Scribbles from Emily. Birds and branches don't have much to do with scribbles. But, there's some sweet backgrounds in the Blogger Template Designer with books and lined notebook paper. If my blog title was something about a nest maybe, then the current background would fit very well. I'll save that for when I start my interior design business: Emily's Nest. Hmmm...
melbourne.park.hyatt.com

Anyway, I think that the perfect design would combine butterflies and notebook paper, however, I have yet to find such a design. BUT, I have entered a drawing for a FREE custom blog giveaway, at Elegant Custom Blogs. Vote for me! Just kidding, there's no voting. And I will be unselfish and even suggest that you enter if you feel your blog could use a face-lift.

In the meantime, I really need your help. I'm terrible at making decisions. So if I don't win the blog design, which of the following backgrounds would you vote for? Also, for your own benefit, there's lots of blogging buttons, even some headers and other extras on these sites you might want to give your own blog a little facial.

Shabby Blogs: Daydream Believer, Aqua Butterfly, Bella Butterfly, or Nature Walk
Blogaholic Designs: Leslie, Maddy
Blogger Template Designer: I don't think you can see this unless you have a Blogger blog. It's one of the options under the Design Tab. Select a template, such as Picture Window, then go to Backgrounds, Arts, and there you'll find the book ones and notebook paper.

There, now that you've checked out the links, you've seen some great options and probably don't feel the need to enter the giveaway, right?!

Kidding. But seriously, I could use some feedback on picking a blog background, or on keeping the same one even, if you feel that it fits my blog. Also, if you have suggestions for more pages to go along the top, or other cosmetic issues, I'd love to hear it!

Labels: