Blogging Blues

This week I've been sort-of following a summer-long Build a Better Blog challenge by SITs, The Secret is In the Sauce. If you haven't heard of them, click on the link or button on here and follow them right away. If you have a blog, you won't regret it! I find new favorite sites from their featured blogger of the day, and I've learned a TON about blogging. Mainly, that blogging well is really an art form requiring lots of strategy and computer know-how in addition to writing skill.

I see now that my original concept of a blog was very naive. I thought I'd just write posts now and then, people would find them, read them, follow me, and post comments, all on their own. After all, I didn't notice Julie in Julie and Julia posting her posts to facebook, twitter, stumbleupon, and RSS feeds...whatever those are...and she was a hit! Well, based on the fact that lots of people tell me they read my blog, but don't FOLLOW ME, and prefer to send me emails or facebook messages instead of commenting on my posts, I'm beginning to see that it takes more than a new background, new widgets, and diary-esque posts to have followers (Btw: you don't have to have a blog to follow mine). Don't get me wrong; I've greatly enjoyed the emails, facebook messages, and in-person comments! But I always find myself wishing I could copy and paste what you say onto my blog so that others can enjoy it too. After all, that's what blogging is all about- sharing, meeting new people, and learning new things (and support!).

I'm beginning to wonder, if I don't have a Twitter account, if I never figure out how to add the facebook "like" button, if I don't learn how to embed videos, if I don't know how to network, is my blog a failure??? What if I can't define my niche? What if my page and my posts don't have a matching theme? What if I don't have a blog button? What if nobody thinks I'm funny?

In the midst of all the new information inundating me that I may never really understand (What is SEO?), I have picked up a few things: Good writing has an Audience. To have an Audience, writing must have a Purpose, and this Purpose should be clearly stated. That brings up more questions: What is the purpose of this blog? Why do I blog? Why do I care whether or not people follow me or even read anything I write? 
  •  This blog is to keep my friends and family up to date. It is also to provide encouragement and hopefully insight to those who read it. I also want to share helpful information and tips on various topics. Now, how do I sum that up in a nice sounding phrase? Any suggestions? 
  • I blog because, well, I LIKE it. I really do. I LOVE reading posts by blogs that I follow. I especially love honing my writing skills and developing my computer knowledge. I love the idea of having my life, my ideas, meout there for people to read about. I'm not really sure why that is, except that it's very validating. 
  • Why do I care... now that is the question. If this blog is for my family and friends' benefit, why does it matter to me whether or not those family members and friends want to publicly identify with it? I've thought about it long and hard, and the only reason I can come up with is that I am selfish. Yep, it's true. The little girl inside me is standing on a chair, yelling red-faced about something but really meaning: "NOTICE ME! I want ATTENTION! I want, I want..."
 Which leads me to the next question, what do I want out of it? I want to feel like I'm good at something. I want to feel liked, accepted, and loved. And this blog, and my attempts to make it successful  are only one small expression of that very human desire. 

However, while I know it's a very real, very human desire, I also know that this blog isn't going to fulfill it, even if I do someday have 100's of faithful followers and figure out what an RSS feed does. 

Really, I don't need to be affirmed through this blog, because I (should) know who I am. I'm a jar of clay. (See verse in the blog subtitle) Empty. 

If I'm going to keep blogging and keep my sanity, I'm going to need to remind myself often of the main Purpose of this blog: Glorifying God. He's the only one who can fill this jar of clay and pour it out as a blessing to others. So, this is my Blog Building Challenge: 
  • To focus on developing the writing skills God has given me, instead of comparing myself to others, with the purpose of glorifying Him by blessing others. 
  • To focus on sharing honestly with my readers, instead of counting my followers. 
  • To enjoy writing, both that of other bloggers and my own.  
  • To do this, one day at a time. 
Thanks for reading this far...I think this post was more for me than you. But, if you have an idea, a suggestion, or a word of encouragement for me, I'd love to hear from you- in person, email, facebook, messenger pigeon, note in a bottle, smoke signals...however you prefer, just not in an RSS feed.  

(Photo credit: www.Dreamstime.com)


Labels: , ,