Got it at Goodwill: Three Thrifty Outfits for $10 Each

I was window shopping online, and completely captivated by the lovely vintage and oh-so feminine dresses at Modcloth. It's one of my favorite places to window shop. Now, their dresses are reasonably priced, especially when they're on sale, and I had $30 of my spending money saved up. I debated between dresses, and suddenly, inspiration struck.

Why not go to Goodwill, pick out a real vintage dress there, and modernize and remodel it to fit me, New Dress A Day style? If you're not familiar with Marissa's site, you should go take a look. You'll get addicted to browsing all the hideous before and adorable after pictures, and her sense of humor! The best part is that she shows you how she makes the transformations. With 365+ tutorials to follow along with, it can't be too hard for me to do the same, right?

So I took my $30 to Goodwill to see what I could get.

Outfit #1
I found my first outfit almost right away. A coral colored skirt caught my eye. It was the high waisted type that you wear above your belly button with a big belt, so I looked for a suitable top. I found a beautiful pink flowered one and a plain white shirt. I threw both in my cart, but after I tried them on, I decided on the plain white one because it was half off.

As I passed the shoes, these turquoise pumps jumped out at me. Turquoise and coral are one of my favorite combinations. I found a matching belt in new condition, AND a matching silk scarf.

Photobucket

I'm just not quite sure how to wear the scarf, hence the cheesy model pose. 

The white shirt needs to be sewn up the sides to make it a couple sizes smaller, but otherwise, this outfit is good to go. 

Outfit #2
I remembered the real reason I'd come: finding dresses. So I left the separates and headed to the dress racks in the back of the store.

I tried really hard to stay away from the nice dresses. I loaded my cart with some of the most hideous and frumpy dresses you can image, because I was looking through New Dress A Day rose colored glasses. Unfortunately, dresses here are $10 each, not $1 like Marissa's. $10 is really overpriced when you look at some of these dresses. Seriously.

I only had $30, and with the cost of my accessories, I couldn't afford to get the dresses that weren't half off. By the time I went to the dressing room, my cart was heaped high with options. It was really, really, hard to narrow them down, but finally I decided on two. 
Photobucket

There were two yellow dresses I liked, but this one doesn't really require any remodeling, so it's the one I chose. I'm wearing it with the turquoise accessories, but I think it would look good with white too for a more Easter-y look. 

Photobucket
Here's a close up, so you can see the fabric. It's got a really cute texture. If you have any ideas for dressing it up or adding something to it, let me know! What do you think about adding a few little buttons on the front, right under the high waist? Or maybe a bow, like this dress?

Canary Islands Dress
Modcloth-$95
My price:
I saved $90 by shopping at Goodwill! 

Outfit #3
Project dress. Keep that in mind. 

Drum roll please...

Ta-da! 

Photobucket
It looks even worse in real life than it does in this picture, trust me. 

The skirt almost touches the ground, but it's very full and has a nice swing to it. There's no zipper, which makes it a perfect candidate for me to remodel since I don't remember how to sew zippers. Get this: It has massive shoulder pads! And large puff sleeves. It's size huge. 

Photobucket
But the fabric is really cute, it's got little white hearts on it! 

Here you can see the buttons on the shoulder, and the weird tie thing on the side. The top of the dress has a layer of fabric that ties at the side. It's kind of interesting, but it's something to work with. 

I'm going to chop off the skirt and bring in the sides, and cut out the shoulder pads, but I'm torn about what else I should do. Should I cut off the sleeves? Should I keep the tie thingy? Should I cut more of a neckline?
  • Navy Dress -$5.00
Final price for all three outfits: 
  • $24.44
Less than I would have spent on one Modcloth dress! That works for me! My tip is:

Check your neighborhood thrift store first! It could save you a lot!


What do YOU think I should do to the yellow or navy dress? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

works for me wednesday at we are that family

Labels: , , , ,