Resolved

I've taken my time with my New Year's Resolutions. I've enjoyed reading those of others, and I incorporated some of their ideas into mine, and I was very influenced by the Proverbs 31 woman.

Personally, I enjoy making resolutions; I used to do it every year until I got "too busy" with college. I'm doing it this year because I like the structure of it, and it gives me measurable goals to work towards.

After a few drafts, I've resolved to list them as follows, with the accompanying references from Proverbs:

Source

1. Healthier Living
~Eat/fix healthier meals, using more whole, fresh, and nutritious foods. Verse 14, she seeks food from afar, gives me the idea that this isn't just any old food, it's the best for her family that she can find.
~Exercise three times a week. Verse 17, her arms are strong and she works vigorously.
Source
2. Personal Growth
~Read more books, try for one per month. Verse 26, she is wise and learned.
~Read the Bible in a year. Verse 30, she fears the Lord.
~Take time to create. Verse 13, she works with her hands eagerly, or "with delight" in other translations.That involves completing two scrapbooks this year, drawing and painting, and making other crafts, including home decor projects.
~Develop hospitable habits. Verse 20, she takes care of others. For, me this will include inviting people over on a regular basis and remembering to write thank you notes!
~Establish good daily routines. These routines will need to include exercising, Bible reading, creating, and regular cleaning and de-cluttering so that we can be hospitable without worrying about what our house looks like. Verse 15 and 27, she gets up early and manages her household well, without being idle.
Photo by: CharisAlexandra
3. Outward Impact
~Cultivate a heart of compassion. Verse 20, she opens her arms to the needy. I hope to do this by supporting ministries with my blog income, writing about the ministries I support and why, recommending them to my readers, and fasting one day a month.
~Develop my blog. Verse 26, she speaks with wisdom and faithfully instructs. My goal for this year is to continue posting three times a week, working on building relationships with bloggers and readers, and writing quality content that encourages and challenges.


It seems like a lot, now that I've got it all typed out! The hardest for me I'm guessing will be exercising three times a week, sticking to a routine, and reading the Bible in a year. 

Just so you don't have to go look up the passage now, here's Proverbs 31.

10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find? 
   She is worth far more than rubies. 
11 Her husband has full confidence in her 
   and lacks nothing of value. 
12 She brings him good, not harm, 
   all the days of her life. 
13 She selects wool and flax 
   and works with eager hands. 
14 She is like the merchant ships, 
   bringing her food from afar. 
15 She gets up while it is still night; 
   she provides food for her family 
   and portions for her female servants. 
16 She considers a field and buys it; 
   out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 
17 She sets about her work vigorously; 
   her arms are strong for her tasks. 
18 She sees that her trading is profitable, 
   and her lamp does not go out at night. 
19 In her hand she holds the distaff 
   and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 
20 She opens her arms to the poor 
   and extends her hands to the needy. 
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; 
   for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 
22 She makes coverings for her bed; 
   she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, 
   where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 
24 She makes linen garments and sells them, 
   and supplies the merchants with sashes. 
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; 
   she can laugh at the days to come. 
26 She speaks with wisdom, 
   and faithful instruction is on her tongue. 
27 She watches over the affairs of her household 
   and does not eat the bread of idleness. 
28 Her children arise and call her blessed; 
   her husband also, and he praises her: 
29 “Many women do noble things, 
   but you surpass them all.” 
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; 
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done, 
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


Did you make resolutions this year? Why or why not? 
Was there a particular verse or passage that inspired you? Please share with us in the comments!


Labels: , ,