Today I'm grateful for...exercise?

If you know me, you know I don't like to exercise. Running is for emergencies only. 

I backed up my dislike for exercise with scripture: "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come" (1 Tim. 4:8). I don't even use the KJV anymore, but the idea that "exercise profits little" has stuck with me.

I've exercised before. Once I even stuck with a three-times-a-week routine for around six months. For a while, I've been wanting to start working out regularly again, but in order for that to happen, there are several hurdles to overcome. 

First, I have to repress memories of Body Flex. If you don't know what it is, this movie explains it all. And yes, I remember doing this exact exercise with mom. Scarred. For. Life.


Another mental barrier is my past struggles with disordered eating in high school. I wonder if exercising will bring back those painful thoughts of not being enough as a person, if I'm not skinny enough. If I started exercising regularly, would I become consumed with my body image, constantly counting calories in the back of mind and critically analyzing myself in front of the mirror?

While my sister-in-law was visiting, we talked about exercise. She's a very dedicated exerciser, and something she said turned on a light bulb for me. "You have to know why you exercise. Not just know what the health benefits are, but what your personal reasons are. What it does for you."

When reading articles that claimed exercise would keep away disease, strengthen my immune system, protect against diabetes, heart disease, and help my brain function better, I'd think to myself, Cool. I should really exercise. But I wouldn't. That wasn't enough.

However, I think exercise could be the answer for a few things.


 I have it so easy. We have a workout room in our apartment community with a few treadmills and a weight lifting machine. But I don't like to exercise in public. People might see me. Luckily, we have netflix, and today I found out that there are loads of work out DVDs on watch instantly!

I have a few criteria for my exercise: it needs to be fun and have lots of variety, and short. 10 Minute Solutions, Rapid Results Pilates seems to fit. I did two of the work out sections today and the stretches for a total of 30 minutes, and I am already feeling it.


My plan is to do two sections and the stretches three times a week. Hold me to that, ok?

When it comes to exercise, what works for you? Let me know in the comments!

Labels: ,