I'm grateful for...sweet potatoes!

Yes, I really am. Sweet potatoes and yams (if there really is a difference) and squash have always been my favorite fall foods. I look forward to them all year! And, now I've come up with my own way of cooking them, based on this recipe. 
From good old Better Homes and Gardens. But, I didn't have any dried rigatoni and I wasn't too sure about the peanut butter, Asian chili sauce, and cream cheese combo in the sauce. So I just made the sweet potato part.  

I started by peeling the potato and slicing it into large chunks. 

Then I mixed the oil and spices. Unfortunately, I didn't have olive oil, so I substituted with vegetable. And I didn't have table sugar, so I substituted brown. I mixed 1 teaspoon of sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and poured in some oil. I dipped each piece and coated both sides, and placed in the baking dish. I baked them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until they were soft.  


I loved them! They had a sweet and savory flavor. My hope was that Brian would like them too, since he doesn't like sweet potatoes usually. I thought the chili powder would make them spicy, and Brian loves spicy things. Unfortunately, they still tasted like sweet potatoes, and they surprisingly weren't spicy at all. So, if you aren't grateful for sweet potatoes, this is not one to try. 

If anyone has a recipe for sweet potato fries, would you like to share?

Labels: ,